Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Hashbrowns With Basted Eggs and Chicken Breakfast Sausage

The weather has been pretty gloomy here with the sun only peaking through occasionally so I decided to have some comfort food for dinner and I think breakfast food can be so comforting! Plus, how often do you actually have time to make a nice breakfast in the morning when you are running around the house trying to get ready for work and find your car keys! So I started with the hashbrowns, and tried making them a different way.... with my waffle iron! I turned the iron on to preheat, even though the iron is non-stick I still sprayed it with olive oil cooking spray and I think it helped them brown also. I cooked them about twice the amount of time it would have taken to cook a waffle and it worked great. Here is a photo:
I used Simply Potatoes:
While the potatoes were cooking I heated a skillet to make my eggs. I used Egg-land's Best:

 I have an electric stove which can be tricky to control the heat on, I set the burner to a low medium heat. When the skillet was ready I added just a little bit of butter, about a tablespoon. You can tell when your pan is ready because the butter will melt very fast and start to sizzle:
Then I cracked two eggs into the pan:
I let them cook for about a minute until most of the outer edges are cooked pretty well but about 2/3rds of the inner part will still be gooey. This is a good time to add some fresh cracked pepper and a little pinch of sea salt to the eggs. Next is the basting! I use the lid of the pan and put some water into it and then slowly add it to the skillet, but just enough for a thin layer at the bottom of the pan.
 

Then place the cover on the pan so the eggs basically steam cook the rest of the way. Make sure you keep an eye on them because they can overcook pretty quickly and it only takes a minute or two (I'm speaking from personal experience).
I can tell when they are finished cooking because they are completely white but when you poke the yoke it is still soft. Another way to check is if you tilt the pan you will be able to see the liquid of the yoke shift. I also cooked up some chicken breakfast sausages:
Here is the delicious end product:

 I stacked my eggs right on top of the hashbrowns and I used my kitchen shears and cut some green onion over the top. Doesn't it look good! And my yoke was runny and perfect! Look...
Yummy! My favorite way to eat this is to cut up the sausage and mix everything together, it doesn't look as pretty but it tastes so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment