Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Beginning...

This will be my first of many posts about my journey to becoming gluten free. A couple years ago I discovered the correlation between when I would eat gluten and the extreme fatigue I would feel soon after. Believing I had a gluten sensitivity I made a conscious effort to limit gluten containing foods during certain times when I needed to make sure I was alert (at work and while driving). But over the course of the last couple months my husband and I have been doing a lot more research and discovered how much gluten can actually affect your body. Although I have never been officially diagnosed with a gluten allergy, by process of elimination I can feel the difference in my body and it is incredible! I now believe what I have is a gluten intolerance, not just a gluten sensitivity, and I decided to go gluten free. My husband and I decided we would make this change together, and I have to admit I am glad we are because it would be very difficult to keep from cross contaminating while cooking or baking. It also makes it a lot easier to go to the pantry and grab anything out of it knowing that nothing contains gluten. Creating a gluten free pantry was a bit of a daunting task but we decided that if we were going to go gluten free we had to just do it, otherwise months from now we would still be trying to use items we had that contained gluten. So I purged our pantry, refrigerator, freezer, and deep freezer and gave away anything that contained gluten. It was amazing how much food I ended up getting rid of and it was difficult to think of the amount of money I was basically throwing away, but then I thought of how good I feel without eating gluten and told myself it is worth it. So I am in the process of restocking my kitchen and discovering new gluten free products and recipes and I look forward to sharing them with everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment